President Trump’s 14-year-old son, Barron, tested positive for COVID-19 but did not show any symptoms, first lady Melania Trump disclosed Wednesday, about two weeks after it was revealed that she and the president had contracted the disease.
Both President Trump and the first lady tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 1 and appear to have since recovered from the disease that has so far killed more than 216,000 Americans
In an update posted Wednesday afternoon on the White House website, Melania Trump said Barron did not initially test positive for COVID-19 following his parents’ diagnosis. His positive result came in a subsequent test, the first lady wrote.
“Luckily he is a strong teenager and exhibited no symptoms,” she said in her statement. “In one way I was glad the three of us went through this at the same time so we could take care of one another and spend time together. He [Barron] has since tested negative.”
As the president was leaving the White House for a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa, on Wednesday afternoon, Trump told reporters on the South Lawn that “Barron’s fine.”
Hours later, Trump told the attendees at his Iowa rally that “Barron Trump, you know, he had the corona-19, the China virus,” adding that his son “had it for such a short period of time, I don’t even think he knew he had it.”